9 Prince Place
9 Prince Place
The unique combination of instructors with engaging teaching style and seriously challenging regimens defines
Motivate. Barre • Cardio • Cycle. Knowing that every class on the schedule will be a killer workout taught by excellent instructors makes going to Motivate all the more convenient and easier to commit to a healthier lifestyle. And it's bad-ass fun! - Claire P.
featured classes & specials
Working out is challenging enough. If it isn’t enjoyable, you are far less likely to stay with it. Motivate Barre and Core & Cardio are constantly changing…the moves, the music, the momentum. It keeps you on your toes (quite literally sometimes)…in body, mind, and spirit. You’ll never get bored.
The movements are safe, small, and controlled. There is less pressure on your spine, joints, ligaments, and tendons in Motivate Barre classes. Using proper, instructor-led form, your core is engaged throughout class thereby improving posture. Motivate Barre builds bone density.
If you are brand new or are a seasoned barre or cardio enthusiast, you can successfully work out side-by-side at Motivate Barre. Educated and seasoned instructors can modify or challenge each client simultaneously. No experience or coordination is necessary. Motivate Barre is for EVERYONE!
Do a quick Google search on “flexibility and aging” and you will be astounded at just how important flexibility is to our aging bodies. Flexibility affects our performance, movement, ability to bounce back from injury…and is the most often ignored part of our exercise regimen. Motivate incorporates stretches into every class.
Building lean muscle mass increases your metabolic rate. We lose muscle mass as we age. That lowers our basal metabolic rate (BMR) which means we are less able to use the food we eat and we store more as fat. Our muscles have high energy requirements; they use more energy, even when we are at rest. The strength training in Motivate Barre increases our lean muscle mass thereby increasing our ability for our muscles to work more efficiently… even when we are at rest.
If your goal is to become stronger, leaner, more flexible, gain more endurance…or all of the above, you need to take action. Motivate Barre works out the ENTIRE body. There are no days spent on particular body parts; we get it all in. Make Motivate Barre a regular part of your life and you will see and feel the difference.
Noticeable changes occur in the first month: your posture changes, you start to see lines in your arms, you feel your work out in muscles you didn’t even know you had. Even more rapid results occur when you attend 3 to 5 classes per week.
The endorphins you get from your Motivate Barre and Core & Cardio and Yoga sessions will undoubtedly lift your mood…so will the improvements you will see. You will clearly notice a change in posture, tone, endurance, and flexibility. The sense of community and personal attention your receive at Motivate Barre keeps you coming back too. We are a welcoming studio and we know you by name. Nothing MOTIVATES like feeling at home and seeing success.
Haven’t been to such a kick butt studio ever!! I love it :)”. ~ Sarah S.
is a dynamic, full-body, joint-safe workout that strengthens and stretches all the major muscle groups in the body that originates in the Lotte Berk and A to Z Methods. Motivate Barre is set to fun and upbeat music and combines ballet barre work, core conditioning, yoga, Pilates, and orthopedic exercises. The controlled movements are very focused, effective, and safe. (No coordination is necessary.) Proper alignment and form is the primary focus. Incorporated into each session are active stretches to develop more toned, sculpted, lengthened, and supple muscles. The entire body and mind are constantly working throughout each session. Every position is cued to properly achieve and maintain core engagement. Through this process, your body, posture, and physical awareness will be transformed. No area of the body is left undiscovered in a barre class. We will tap muscles you didn’t even know you had.
“I was completely new to barre, and pretty intimidated by the whole thing. Meghan made it so easy to jump in! After two weeks, I was hooked! I have never seen such fast results in my strength and flexibility – plus I lost 10lbs in my first couple months. Absolutely LOVE Motivate Barre!!” ~ Kate
is going to make you sweat. Wear your sneakers and bring your towel. A perfect complement to Motivate Barre, Core & Cardio combine High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with core work and stretching. This component of your sessions with Motivate is the ultimate in fat-burning. HIIT is a training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time. HIIT increases the body’s need for oxygen during the effort and creates an oxygen shortage, causing your body to ask for more oxygen during recovery. This “catch-up” effect is the reason why intense exercise will help burn more fat and calories than regular aerobic and steady-state workouts.
“I have never sweat so much in any class, ever, like I do in Core & Cardio.” ~ Meagan N.
“I need two towels for Core & Cardio.” ~ Brian C.
Consider what you know about indoor cycling and take it up a notch. You’ll get all the benefits of a cardiovascular workout with low impact without losing the intensity. The instructor’s voice and pumping music will challenge you to take it to the next level. Complement the strengthening and lengthening of your barre regimen with this all-out-sweat-fest.
The room is great, love the candles. Each instructor has their own unique style, which makes attending classes throughout the week so fun! ~ Jennifer R.
30 minutes on the bikes followed by 15 minutes on the mat. Sweat-fest followed by an ab blast. No joke.
is a perfect fusion of our Motivate Barre and Core & Cardio classes. This is an upbeat, sweat-filled, fast-paced class that conveniently checks off your muscle-building and fat-burning needs at once. You’ll need your sneakers… and a go-get-em attitude for this one!
Motivate Cardiobarre is the best of the best brought into one action-packed class. And don’t let the 45-minute class fool you…this is tough stuff! ~ Karen M.
is a fusion of yoga with Motivate Barre. Barre and yoga naturally complement each other while developing strength, flexibility, and postural awareness. Motivate YogaBarre combines the intense strengthening and lengthening benefits of barre with the deep stretch and calm strength inherent in yoga. Both your yoga practice and your barre practice will improve.
“Intimate class-size coupled with serene & mindful instruction puts yogabarre on my CAN’T MISS list. Pam’s well-timed reminders, her careful oversight, and her eye for position and adjustment makes this class a standout. The results are immediate.” ~ Erin C.
This fun and diverse outdoor interval training class mixes body weight exercises with cardio and strength training. This class is designed to be different all the time, and pushes our participants harder than they’d push themselves. We want to keep you guessing – and challenge you differently every class! Our goal is to offer encouragement rather than intimidation. We want you to have tons of fun – but please be prepared for some high intensity interval training!! This class is offered for all ages and fitness abilities!
Details: Class starts and finishes at the Rail Trail where it intersects Washington Street.
First and most importantly, expect to have fun…it is sort of a requirement. If you are new here, please create an online account when you register for classes. All scheduling and payments are done online through the mindbody online system. (If you need help, email us and we’d be happy to assist you.) Mindbody also offers apps for your phones for ease of signing up on-the-go on iOS and Android:
Registration opens a week prior to class for studio classes. Workshops, events, and series registration opens approximately a month before they begin. Classes can fill and guests may be waitlisted. If waitlisted, you will receive an email from the studio if space opens (don’t opt out of emails or you won’t get these notices). First time clients should arrive at least 10 minutes early so we can show you around.
It is our goal to make your time at Motivate as comfortable and enjoyable as we can. Our policies are designed for the whole rather than the individual but if you need special accommodations, please ask.
• We have mats at the studio available for you. If you’d rather, you may bring a personal mat for your use.
• Clean indoor sneakers/cycle shoes are required for all Core & Cardio, Cycle, and CardioBarre classes. Sneakers that are worn outside bring mulch, sand, and glass into the studio which is uncomfortable for clients when on the mat and floor.
• Please plan to attend the whole class for which you are registered. Arriving late and/or leaving early is disruptive to the flow of class, takes clients out of their mind/body connection, and can be a hazard to other clients as you move weights over them as you exit.
• Next, to save us from spills, please do not bring glass or uncapped drinks into the studio.
• Cubbies and hooks are available to store your personal belongings.
• Finally, please turn mobile phones to silent before the start of class. Please refrain from phoning/texting/emailing during class as well. We really want the studio to be an escape from our busy lives. The calls/texts may be disruptive to clients around you trying to focus on their work. If for some reason you need to take a call/text, please be sure to excuse yourself to the bathroom or outside the studio. In the same spirit, please refrain from conversation once class begins so that everyone may be able to hear the instructor and focus on themselves during class.
• Clients may reserve one class per time slot. If you choose to reserve one class and waitlist another for the same time, you are responsible to both classes. In the event you get into both, you will be double-booked and must cancel one in order to avoid no show fees or a lost class on your pass.
There is a 12-hour cancellation policy on all classes.
These policies are designed to make sure Motivate Barre & Cardio can accommodate as many clients as we can. We want those who wish to come to class to have a space reserved, and those on the waitlist to be notified in time to settle in comfortably.
• You can cancel your reservation via your account up to 12 hours prior to the start of class. If outside of the 12 hours before class, members and those on unlimited class passes: a late cancel or no-show will result in a $14 fee ($9.50 for core & cardio). For those on a class pass: a late cancel or no-show will result in the loss of the class and you will charged as attending. You may still cancel your reservation outside of the 12 hours before class to allow another client to get into class, but the late cancel policy still applies.
• Private/duet/small group sessions require a 24-hour cancellation. Outside of the 24-hour cancellation, you will be charged as attending.
• Please be aware that spaces will be released as soon as class starts for the individuals on the waitlist/walk-ins, so please be sure to arrive at least five minutes before class.
• We understand emergencies happen; email us in case of extenuating circumstances.
• In the case of a class cancellation, we will post on our Facebook page and on mindbody online.
Motivate reserves the right to cancel class if there are fewer than 5 clients pre-registered 90 minutes before class.
Class packages cannot be shared between two people. Each person must have their own account within our mindbody online system and their own class package to use. We can however set it up so that you “pay for another client”. Please email us at email@example.com if you would like to do this.
*Policies can change without notice. You are responsible for staying updated and are responsible for abiding by new policies.
Motivate Barre & Cardio is located in the heart of Downtown Newburyport in the historical Mercantile Building on Prince Place (just around the corner from Lexi’s and the Port Tavern). There is free on-street parking throughout the entirety of downtown. You may also use the municipal parking lots next to our building or a few yards away next to the Public Library. After class, make your way back down State and Pleasant Streets for some coffee or shopping.
*5 & 10 All Class passes expire 4 months after purchase.
private, duets, and small group sessions — in-home and in-studio. contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
If income is an issue, please contact Meghan at the studio. Cost should not keep you from meeting your health and wellness goals. We will work something out together.
CLASS PURCHASES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE.
Corporate rates available. Please email the studio. 15% discount is available to students, teachers, veterans, and military. Please email the studio for promo code before making your purchase.